Learn how to use ExpressVPN AppleTV to view geo-restricted material. We’ll go over three simple setup ways in this article, as well as what to do if ExpressVPN isn’t functioning with your Apple TV.
When you connect your Apple TV to a reliable virtual private network (VPN), you can gain access to geo-restricted video streaming libraries all over the world.
Netflix, for example, has distinct libraries around the world, but BBC iPlayer is only available in the United Kingdom.
Unfortunately, Apple TV does not enable you to install VPN apps directly on the device, such as ExpressVPN.
However, there are ways to access Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, HBO Max, Disney+, and other services using ExpressVPN and AppleTV.
ExpressVPN works nicely on Apple TV after it is set up. Many video platforms are easily unblocked, and streaming rates are fast.
We’ll walk you through how to set up ExpressVPN Apple TV step by step in this guide.
Explain how to set up the MediaStreamer Smart DNS service, mirror your screen from your iPhone or iPad, and set up ExpressVPN on your router. We’ll also show you how to set up the VPN on your PC and use it to connect to Apple TV.
Also, we will discuss why we think ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Apple TV, based on our exhaustive research.
Installing ExpressVPN on AppleTV is Simple
ExpressVPN cannot be installed directly on Apple TV. However, you can combine them in four ways to unblock streaming services:
- To broadcast from your mobile device, use AirPlay and mirroring.
- ExpressVPN should be installed on your router.
- Use ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS function, MediaStreamer.
- Connect your Apple TV to the internet using your computer.
Is ExpressVPN a Good AppleTV VPN Option?
ExpressVPN is the greatest VPN money can buy, and it’s also our top-rated Apple TV VPN.
In addition to its fast speeds and ability to unblock geo-restricted content, ExpressVPN has numerous added features that make it a perfect choice for Apple TV:
- Excellent iPhone and iPad apps. If you want to mirror your screen to the Apple TV, this is an excellent option.
- Excellent router support. You can modify which Netflix libraries you can see by using the router dashboard to switch locations. It also offers a user-friendly interface that is straightforward and appealing.
- The ability to purchase a router that comes pre-installed with ExpressVPN. It isn’t the cheapest option to set up a VPN for Apple TV, but it is the most convenient.
- MediaStreamer is a powerful Smart DNS solution. You can unblock geo-restricted content with it, but it doesn’t provide the same level of security as a VPN. It is simple to set up.
- Streaming is well-supported. Across its complete network of over 3,000 servers, ExpressVPN unblocks 19 Netflix libraries.
How to Set Up Apple TV with ExpressVPN on Your Computer
Another option is to install ExpressVPN on your computer and then connect your Apple TV to the internet via your computer.
This offers you access to all of a VPN’s features, including privacy protection. The disadvantage is that you must keep your computer turned on at all times while using Apple TV. You won’t be able to accomplish this on your phone.
Perform these instructions to connect your ExpressVPN AppleTV on your computer:
- ExpressVPN is available for download and installation on your computer. You’ll need to subscribe, but there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- On your computer, create a virtual router or a mobile hotspot.
- Set up ExpressVPN. Disable the VPN and adjust your protocol in ExpressVPN’s options menu by selecting “Protocol.” Select the OpenVPN protocol on Windows. You’ll need to utilise L2TP/IPsec if you’re running macOS.
- Establish a connection using ExpressVPN. Select a server in the country where the content you wish to unblock is blocked. Choose the United States, for example, to watch Netflix in the United States.
- Connect your Apple TV to the internet through your computer. Go to Settings > Network on your Apple TV. Choose your computer’s connection under “Configure Wireless.”
- Using your Apple TV, you may watch movies and TV shows. Your connection will go through your computer and the ExpressVPN service installed on it, which will secure your privacy and allow you to access prohibited content.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to use a VPN with my Apple TV?
Unfortunately, Apple TV does not support VPN software; however, the VPN can be installed on the Apple TV’s wifi router.
Why isn’t Netflix compatible with ExpressVPN?
Because all of ExpressVPN’s AppleTV existing IP addresses have been blacklisted, it can’t connect to Netflix. Netflix does not have the right to distribute all of its programs in other countries. Netflix is unable to broadcast all of its episodes worldwide due to licencing and copyright agreements with its content partners.
How long does it take to set up ExpressVPN AppleTV?
The automated setup for Apple TV takes less than a minute.
Is Apple TV limited to a specific region?
Apple TV isn’t region-locked in any way. You may use your Apple TV to access all Apple services from anywhere in the world. Third-party apps, on the other hand, may be geo-restricted, necessitating the use of a VPN.
The Bottom Line With excellent international speeds, ExpressVPN unblocks a vast variety of Netflix libraries and streaming services. As a result, it’s an excellent pick for Apple TV.
You can also try downloading ExpressVPN on your iPhone or iPad and mirroring its screen, or installing ExpressVPN on your computer and sharing its connection with Apple TV, as there are decent apps for both iOS and desktop PCs.