Televisions are no longer what they used to be 10 years ago. Previously, while everyone waited the entire week for their favorite TV show or program to air, now the TV arena is dominated by video-on-demand. Two years ago, Apple CEO Tim Cook rightly predicted that the future of TV is apps –and the future is here.
Apart from regular TV streaming apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the specialized streaming hardware such as Chromecast and Apple TV, Kodi is making rounds in the streaming world since a long time and have the best TV addons. This beast of an open source media player makes it possible for any user from anywhere to watch anything at all.
Since Kodi is just a piece of program and can’t run by itself, this blog will articulate how you can integrate Kodi with your Chromecast device and enjoy unlimited streaming.
Integrate Kodi on Chromecast via Android phone
This small procedure allows you to integrate Kodi with your Chromecast device using your smartphone or a tablet that runs on Android OS.
- Download Kodi, ES File Explorer, LocalCast and XML file PlayerFactoryCore.
- Open ES File Explorer, open Settings, go to Display Settings and make sure that show hidden files is enabled.
- Ensure that Kodi or XBMC media center is connected to the Kodi app.
- Open ES File Explorer and navigate to the Downloads folder, and look for the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file.
- Copy PlayerFactoryCore.xml file and go to Android>Data and open a file named as “org.xbmc.kodi” or “org.xbmc.xbmc”.
- Click Files>.kodi (or .xbmc, depending which one you’ve used)>userdata. Now paste the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file into this folder.
- Open Kodi and find the video file you want stream.
- Kodi will launch LocalCast, you may be asked which casting app you want to use.
- Now press Play and select the device you want to stream on.
- Click Play again.
Install KODI on Android and Mirror Screen on Your TV via Chromecast
Please note that while this procedure is very easy and effective, it drains your gadget’s battery. So it’s better to keep your device connected to a charging port. Also, while streaming via this process, you will not be able to turn off your gadget’s screen or take calls in the middle.
- Open Chromecast on your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Go to menu>Cast screen / audio> and follow the instructions to connect your device with your Chromecast.
- Run Kodi.
- Look for the video you want to watch, then press play.
- The video will now be played across both devices, your Chromecast connected TV and your Android device.
Integrate Kodi on Chromecast via PC
Using your PC to stream your favorite content on your Chromecast via Kodi isn’t that difficult after all. Just follow these steps and start streaming.
- Download and install Chrome, Chromecast (Chrome extension), and a Kodi or XBMC client on your PC.
- Open Chrome and select the Cast option from your Chromecast extension.
- To the right of where it says: Cast this tab to…, click the small arrow button. Select Cast entire screen (experimental).
- Now your PC should be mirroring its screen on your Chromecast connected TV.
- Now play any video on Kodi on your PC, and watch it on your TV.
Did you find our step-by-step guide helpful? We hope that it helped you stream your favorite video content on your Chromecast with ease. Leave a comment below and let us know if these steps worked great for you.