AstrillVPN is well-known for being a VPN that works in China and has a lot of features. However, it is one of the more expensive alternatives and is not suitable for beginners. Astrill VPN is a safe service established in the privacy-friendly Seychelles. However, we discovered that it is inconsistent in its performance and can be difficult to understand.
As a result, the expensive price is not justified, as there are a plethora of top VPN companies that provide superior service at lesser costs. Continue reading to learn everything about Astrill VPN and why it isn’t a service we would recommend to most people.
AstrillVPN – Brief Review
Unblocking geographically restricted websites and services like Netflix, Hulu, and DisneyPlus is one of the main reasons to use a VPN. We were able to access American Netflix via Astrill, however, it was tough to find a suitable server.
Most VPN services have dedicated streaming servers, making it simple to unblock a streaming service. We had to personally test each server with Astrill to locate one that worked with streaming. This is a long and complicated process. We couldn’t discover a server on several occasions. We were unable to use Astrill VPN to unblock other services such as Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video, despite the fact that it worked with Netflix.
Astrill performs considerably better as a torrent VPN. It has reasonable download speeds, and we were able to download files without difficulty. Astrill has torrent P2P servers and is compatible with popular clients such as BitTorrent and uTorrent. However, with Astrill, you must activate port forwarding to torrent, which can be a security issue.
On Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and VPN routers, Astrill VPN is available. For a year-long subscription, prices start at $10.00 per month. The fact that it operates in China and other restrictive countries like Turkey is its main selling point, but this isn’t enough to justify the expensive price.
Speed – Is AstrillVPN Fast?
While using a VPN can slow down your connection, the difference should never be so large that it interferes with your browsing.
Astrill VPN significantly slowed our connection and made it unstable. Streaming and gaming were affected as a result. When connecting to servers that were closer geographically, the speeds were substantially faster.
Here are some broad conclusions:
- When connected to certain servers, Astrill VPN dramatically slowed down.
- We had a shaky connection that caused us to miss out on browsing and streaming.
- When playing online games, we had a high ping.
Security – Is Astrill VPN Secure?
Because a VPN’s major role is to allow you to browse anonymously, it’s critical that providers use secure protocols and data encryption to keep you safe online. Astrill VPN earns an 8 out of 10 for providing the required security protocols to keep you safe.
Here are the key points we learned regarding Astrill VPN’s security:
- It supports four protocols: OpenVPN, WireGuard, and two unique Astrill protocols: OpenWeb and StealthVPN.
- Astrill has a high level of security, with all protocols using industry-standard AES 256-bit data encryption to protect your data.
- On its desktop apps, Astrill has an automated shutdown switch to prevent IP leakage.
Usability – Is Astrill VPN User-Friendly?
The Astrill VPN website is well-organized, and the software is simple to download and install. However, it features an outdated interface that is difficult to use for novices, earning it a 4 out of 10 ratings. Here are some broad conclusions:
- The website is well-designed and straightforward to use.
- On all devices, the installation process is simple and quick.
- The Astrill VPN apps have an out-of-date user interface that is difficult to navigate.
- It’s one of the priciest VPN services available.
Astrill VPN has a decent server network, though it pales in comparison to other major VPN providers. Although it focuses on Asian regions, it has a presence on every continent, making it easy to find a server near you. We gave Astrill a five-out-of-ten rating, and the following are our main observations:
- Astrill VPN’s physical servers are spread throughout 107 cities in 57 countries.
- Dedicated IPs or Private IPs can be purchased for an additional fee.
- Different types of servers are accessible in Astrill apps for different devices, including China-optimized, P2P-optimized, and multi-hop servers (for an extra fee).
How To Install Astrill VPN
You can choose a subscription plan by going to the Astrill VPN website’s pricing page. Then, to download and install the VPN client on your device, follow the steps below.
- If necessary, add one or both of the additional features, namely Private IP and the VIP add-on.
- Sign up for an account by providing your name, email address, and password.
- Accept the Terms of Service and Privacy Statement.
- You’ll now need to verify your email address.
- To do so, open your email and click the link in Astrill’s welcome email.
- Pay with a credit/debit card, PayPal, or one of the other methods available.
- Once your money has been finalized, go to the Member Zone and click the “Download” tab to receive the Astrill VPN app for your device.
- To install the VPN client on your PC, open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is AstrillVPN good?
Astrill VPN is a decent VPN, particularly for China and other countries with severe censorship. It is, however, highly costly and difficult to use.
Is AstrillVPN owned by China?
No, Astrill VPN is based in Seychelles and has no known connections to the Chinese government.
Does Astrill work with Netflix?
Yes, Astrill VPN works with Netflix, although finding the proper server for this purpose can be tricky.
Is AstrillVPN free?
No, Astrill VPN is not free, and there is no free trial or money-back guarantee. It’s one of the most expensive VPNs available, at $10 per month.
Although Astrill VPN has a lot of capabilities, it requires some prior understanding of VPN configurations and settings in order to use it properly. For most users, it’s too pricey and difficult.
Furthermore, because there are no specialized or clearly defined servers for streaming, accessing geo-restricted services such as Netflix is a problem.
On the plus side, Astrill VPN is ideal for torrenting and has a lot of advanced security measures, making it a good alternative for censored countries like China. However, we recommend checking out other solutions if you want a fast VPN that can effortlessly unblock geo-restricted content.