X-VPN is a Hong Kong-based provider. The provider bills itself as “the most powerful VPN that works for you,” and was formed in July 2017 by the parent firm Free Connected Limited. X-VPN claims to be free, secure, and quick, but the question is if it can deliver on these promises.
We discovered right away that X-VPN isn’t genuinely free. Instead, the service provider employs a “freemium” strategy. The app is free on mobile, however, it has a lot of limitations. There’s no kill switch, and there aren’t many options. On PC, the free version has a 500 MB data limit before you must upgrade to the premium version. Furthermore, the provider is ambiguous about its money-back guarantee.
We saw a lot of contradictory information on the website and encountered some installation troubles. To make matters even more complicated, if you want to use all of X-functionality, VPN’s you must first download the VPN from GitHub. For unskilled users, this could be a problem.
Nonetheless, we’d want to give X-VPN a fair chance. What about security and efficiency? Is the VPN compatible with Netflix? Read on to see if we can check those boxes, or if we think you should avoid X-VPN completely.
X-VPN Review: A Quick Look
X-VPN is an odd supplier that frequently contradicts itself. Although it has a large number of servers, the speeds are still poor. You can unblock Netflix, but you won’t be able to download torrents. X-customer VPN’s service representatives are pleasant, but they don’t appear to care about their users’ privacy.
X-VPN Speeds – How Fast Is It?
Any VPN must have a high level of speed. When viewing films or gaming or browsing, you don’t want your connection to drop or encounter lag. This is why we thoroughly evaluate a VPN’s speed capabilities.
On this aspect, we award X-VPN a 3 out of 10 rating. What we can say about our experience is as follows:
- Your internet connection will be significantly slowed by using a VPN.
- During our formal speed testing, as well as in everyday use, we saw reduced speeds.
- We couldn’t connect because the IP addresses didn’t match the servers we were connected to. An Amsterdam server, for example, provided us with IP addresses in Helsinki and Paris.
X-VPN’s Security – How Safe Is It?
The most significant and distinguishing quality of a VPN is its security. What good is a Virtual Private Network if it doesn’t provide privacy?
We assigned X-VPN a score of 1 out of 10 after reviewing its security, anonymity, and privacy features.The accompanying evidence backs up this claim:
- X-VPN employs proprietary protocols that aren’t widely recognised. As a result, you won’t be able to adequately determine if your data is secure.
- We discovered that the kill switch isn’t actually functional.
- Connection logs and aggregate data are kept by X-VPN.
- According to the website, you are required to give social network information in certain circumstances.
X-VPN Usability – How User-Friendly Is It?
We rate X-usability VPN’s a 4 out of 10 based on our personal experiences. Here’s what we discovered:
- The website is well-organized, however, it has certain limitations.
- Five days a week, live chat is available.
- Depending on the app, the installation process can be time-consuming.
- There are numerous applications available, some of them have restricted capabilities or may not perform properly.
- X-VPN is a bit on the pricey side.
- The website’s information is inconsistent.
Options for X-VPN
In theory, each VPN does the same thing: it encrypts your internet traffic by establishing a secure tunnel between you and the internet. Furthermore, most VPNs offer strong unblocking capabilities, allowing you to watch your favourite shows.
Because the main players in the VPN industry all have excellent encryption, fast servers, and operate with Netflix, smaller VPNs must provide additional services to compete.
X-VPN differentiates itself in the following ways:
- X-VPN does not allow torrent downloads, therefore it focuses on streaming.
- Netflix (in the United States) is compatible with X-VPN.
- A Private Browser feature is available in the Android app. However, it does not function as expected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is X-VPN a free service?
The X VPN mobile app is free, however, it has a lot of limitations. The free version for PC has a 500 MB data limit before you need to upgrade to the premium version. At least $5.99 per month gets you premium service and other features.
How much does X-VPN set you back?
X VPN has two distinct options to choose from. Both enable you to connect up to five devices at once.
For $11.99, you can purchase a one-month subscription, or for $77.88, you can get a one-year plan.
Is X-VPN a secure VPN?
The encryption techniques used by X VPN are not specified. This calls into question the security of your data. The supplier keeps a lot of personal data and, if required by law, will share it with Hong Kong authorities.
Is it possible to use X-VPN to download torrents?
Torrent downloads are not possible with X-VPN. The download rates were excessively slow while using a local server. We couldn’t even open torrent clients or websites using a remote server.
X-VPN has a crude quality to it, despite the fact that it has 8,000 servers to its name. This is particularly unfortunate given that X-VPN has been on the market since 2017. We were particularly dissatisfied with the logging and lack of openness.
True, X-VPN allows you to easily access American Netflix. You can gain simpler access to the same content for less money if you utilise a provider like Surfshark or NordVPN. More importantly, your data remains truly secret with these services, which is exactly what a VPN is for.
At the end of the day, the disadvantages of this VPN service greatly outweigh the benefits.